ROB MEEK OVERNIGHT RACE
|20th – 21st NOVEMBER 2015
AMENDED NOTICE OF RACE
- ORGANISING AUTHORITY
Royal Cape Yacht Club (RCYC) under the sanction and authority of South African Sailing – Western Cape.
- Races shall be governed by the International Sailing Federation Racing Rules of Sailing 2013 ??? 2016 (RRS), The International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea 1972 (COLREG), SAS/SAMSA Safety Regulations minimum Category C; the Class Rules of participating Classes, the IRC 2015/16 Rules. The Notice of Race, the Sailing Instructions and any Amendments thereof. (NOTE THAT CATEGORY C REQUIRES LIFE RAFTS TO BE CARRIED WHEN SAILING AFTER SUNSET).
- In the race from Table Bay to False Bay, for determining the right of way between contestants, the International Regulations for the Prevention of Collisions at Sea shall apply, except from the Warning Signal and for a period of30 minutes after the start when the RRS Rules shall govern.
ENTRIES CLOSE: 16H00 MONDAY 16th NOVEMBER 2015.
Entries shall be submitted on the official entry form by 16h00 on Monday 16th November. Entries may be delivered by hand, fax 021 421 6028, e-mail or online www.rcyc.co.za. The Notice of Race and all relevant documents are available on the RCYC Web site.
- All entries shall be considered at the discretion of the race committee.
- The Skipper in command shall hold no less than a SA Sailing Coastal Skipper’s Certificate OR National Local Waters Skippers Certificate and be current members of SA Sailing.
- Any class of yacht can be recognized as a separate Racing Division by the Race Committee.
- The maximum total crew for club TCF racing is to be per the table below:
|Yacht LOA in feet||Yacht LOA in metres||Maximum RRD Crew Number*|
|Under 30||Under 9.14 m||7|
|55 and over||16.76 m and over||20|
|*Maximum RRD Crew Number or COF Crew Limit, whichever is the lesser number|
If the maximum crew limit exceeds the yacht’s COF, then the COF takes precedent over the allowable maximum crew limit.
- In terms of the Category C SAMSA regulations a life raft shall be required when sailing at night, crew numbers shall be limited by the life raft capacity
- FLEET CATEGORIES
- This Race is part of the Club Championships; the Division splits shall be as Para. 10 of the RCYC Notice of Race. There is no minimum number of starters per division required for a result in the race and/or the club championships. Results will count towards the club champs regardless of how many starters there are.These divisions are currently subdivided as follows:
|DIVISION||IRC TCF||CLUB TCF|
|Division 1||Greater than 0.999||1.080* and higher|
|Division 2||0.850 to 0.999||1.000 to 1.130*|
|Division 3||Less than 0.850||Fewer than 1.000|
|*Yachts with CLUB TCF rating between 1.080 and 1.130 shall elect which club division [1 OR 2] they are sailing in for the whole season. Once this choice is made, the yacht shall sail in that division for the whole season if it wants to be considered for the club championships.|
The Start signal for Division 1, 2 and 3 shall be at 18h00 on Friday 20th November 2015.
- Full details of the course and the position of the waypoints shall be posted on the notice board before 14h00 on the day of the race.
- The intent is to set a coastal or offshore race starting in Table Bay and Division 1 & 2 finishing in False Bay and Division 3 in Table Bay.
- These waypoints shall be positioned in response to the wind conditions so that the leading boat in each class finishes from approximately 12h00 on the Saturday morning.
- Boats shall be asked to provide proof on rounding the waypoints.
- HANDICAP SYSTEM, RACE RESULTS & SCORING
Scoring for the race shall be in accordance with the RRS Appendix A4 Low Point scoring system.
- RCYC CLUB HANDICAP
Results shall be calculated using the R.C.Y.C. Club Handicap System. Any yacht that has changed its sail or hull measurements since the issue of its Club Rating shall submit a new RRD (Royal Cape Ratings Division Handicap System) Club Handicap application form by the closing time for entries.
A list of yachts entered and their ratings shall be posted on the notice board before 12h00 on Friday 20th November 2015.
- The Race committee shall provide dual scoring for all valid IRC certificate holders.
- PENALTY SYSTEM
- TAKING A PENALTY (RRS 44)
When a scoring penalty applies it shall be as described in RRS 44.3.
Unless Sailing Instructions state that a scoring penalty applies, a boat may take a Two Turns Penalty as permitted and described in RRS 44.2 for breaking a rule of RRS Part 2 or a right of-way rule of IRPCAS, whichever applies at the time. When the right-of-way rules of IRPCAS apply a penalty need not be taken until it is safe to do so. This adds to RRS 44.1.
- PENALTIES FOR INFRINGEMENTS OF OTHER RULES
Penalties for infringements of other rules shall be detailed in the Sailing Instructions
Registration shall take place between 16h00 and 18h00 on Thursday 19th November 2015 in the Main Hall at RCYC.
- SPONSORS BRIEFING
The sponsors may possibly host a welcome and briefing for owners and crew in the RCYC Main Hall at 18h00 on Thursday 19th November. This is not compulsory but competitors are encouraged to support this event.
- SAFETY & SCRUTINY
- It shall be the responsibility of the skipper and an appointed member of his crew to inspect his boat for compliance with the regulations of this Regatta, the Safety Declaration form shall be signed and handed to the Race Secretary by not later than 18h00 on Thursday, 19th November.
- A random selection of boats may be identified for safety inspections to take place after Registration on Thursday 19th November and also after the race. The owner and appointed crewmember shall be available to accompany the scrutineer to the boat and to assist with the inspection.
- Competitors participate entirely at their own risk. See RRS 4 Decision to race. The organizing authority shall not accept any liability for material damage or personal injury or death sustained in conjunction with or prior to, during, or after the regatta.
- Each participating boat shall be insured with valid Third Party Liability cover of a minimum of R2 million.
- SAILING INSTRUCTIONS
Sailing Instructions shall be available from 16h00 on Tuesday 17th November at the Race Secretary???s Office at Royal Cape Yacht Club, and shall be posted on the Royal Cape Yacht Club website address www.rcyc.co.za
- TROPHIES & PRIZES
- There shall be trophies awarded for the RCYC Club Handicap Fleet & dual scoring done for the IRC boats.
- There shall also be a first prize for each Division.
- Other prizes shall be awarded at the discretion of the Race Committee based on the entries received.
- AMENDMENTS TO THIS NOTICE OF RACE
The race committee reserves the right to amend this notice. Any amendments of this notice made prior to 18th November 2015 shall be posted on the RCYC website and Notice Board.