Guest of Honour, Dr Cleeve Robertson (CEO NSRI), will be joining all at the Royal Cape Yacht Club in celebrating the start of the 2013/14 sailing season by hosting the 2013 Opening Cruise on Saturday 05 October 2013.
The Opening Cruise is themed “Traditional and Colourful” – so a fun opportunity to dress your vessel overall and encourage your crews to ‘strut their stuff’. As is the norm, there’ll be prizes to be won and entertainment galore.
The format will be the same as last year, whereby the Salute will be received by the Commodore and Dr Robertson who???ll both take position aside of Bertie Reeds bust at the Clock Tower, V&A Waterfront cutting.
For Sequence of Events, Sailing Instructions and Transit Route see below:
SEQUENCE OF EVENTS
click image below
OPENING CRUISE 2013 – SAILING INSTRUCTIONS
- All yachts participating are expected to leave the Small Craft Basin (RCYC) by 12h40
- Vessels to depart RCYC by 13h00 (Monitor on CH 06)
- Muster at Granger Bay, North of Breakwater, outside the V & A no later than 14h00. Vice Commodore, Ray Matthews on Yacht CABARAYto co-ordinate and lead Fleet (CH 06), and request Fleet entry to the Port. It is important that the Fleet organise themselves into formation smartly ??? allowing for good spectator value while transiting the V&A Waterfront.
- Vessels line astern of CABARAY, (no overtaking), will follow CABARAY into the V&A Waterfront, through the Clock Tower Cutting, entering on starboard, moving in an anticlockwise direction within the Alfred Basin.
- At 14h30 Vessels will take the salute on exiting the Alfred Basin, exiting to starboard, through the Clock Tower Cutting. The Officials will be seated on a podium at Berties Bust on your starboard side on exiting.
- Royal Cape II (Water Sherriff) will be on the water to assist coordination, and in particular to stop yachts entering the Alfred Basin in the event of the Swing Bridge needing to temporarily close for pedestrians, or a delay in the yachts entering. Once reopened the rest of the fleet can continue the anticlockwise, stb in and stb out of the Alfred Basin.
- Chavonnes Gun Battery will be firing ten gun salute in honour of RCYC’s 110th Opening Cruise.
- 14h30-15h30 Free Sail to break away from the fleet and enjoy your sail at leisure.
- 16h00 Sports Bar in the Regatta Centre Opens for participants, crews and guests.
V&A Harbour Control have asked that NO BALLOONS or any types of pollutant items be thrown or dropped in V&A Waterfront waters.