ROYAL CAPE YACHT CLUB MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION
updated June 2012
On behalf of the Commodore, Flag Officers and Committee, we thank you for applying to become a Member of the Royal Cape Yacht Club.
This document serves as a guideline to the procedure involved in applying for membership at the Royal Cape Yacht Club. Should you have further queries regarding applications or memberships, please contact the membership secretary. Kindly note the following:
- All persons wishing to join the Club must be proposed by an Ordinary or Honorary Life member and seconded by another, both of whom shall have been members of the RCYC for not less than six (6) months.
- Prospective applicants must ensure that they apply for the correct class of membership as detailed within the RCYC Constitution.
- Prospective members are to ensure that they are fully conversant with the RCYC Constitution and bye-laws prior to application, as any person applying for membership shall be bound by the Constitution, rules and bye-laws in force from time to time.
The Application for Membership Form is to be fully completed and handed or emailed to the Clubs’ Membership Secretary by the 7th of each month. You are requested to ensure that two (2) colour identity photographs accompany your application document . These can also be emailed to the membership secretary.
Your name, together with a photograph will be placed on the Notice Board for the duration of your scrutiny period after which your application will be subjected to ballot by the General Committee for final acceptance.
All prospective members will be subject to the following Scrutiny periods:
- Ordinary: three (3) months;
- Family (related to an ordinary existing member) one (1) month;
- Other class of membership: one (1) month.
Any member having any information which he/she considers relevant to such application shall be entitled to bring such information to the attention of the General Committee within such fourteen (14) day period. The provisions of this clause shall not apply to Temporary members.
During your scrutiny period you will be considered a Temporary Member of the RCYC. The Membership Secretary will advise you in writing of your status and a Temporary Membership Card will be issued to you by the Club Office. As a Temporary Member you will be entitled to enjoy the following benefits:
- Club Access
Temporary Members enjoy full use of Club facilities and property, and therefore will no longer be required to sign the Guest Register. However, in order to comply with the provisions of the Club’s Liquor License your guests will still be required to be signed “IN” by a full (Ordinary) Member of the Club and not by you as a Temporary Member. This formality must be strictly adhered to.
Temporary Members have limited use of the Members parking lot, however due to the shortage of parking space, parking facilities may not always be available to Temporary Members. As such, access to parking will not be made available during Wednesday night sailing events and any other major regatta / race-days.
BALLOT OF MEMBERSHIP
On completion of your scrutiny period, the final approval of your full membership shall be vested in the Committee, who shall vote by ballot.
If successfully balloted, you will be contacted and provided with the Membership card, which provides you with all Full Membership benefits.
Should your application be unsuccessful, the Committee shall not be obliged to furnish reasons for such decision. A rejected candidate may not be re-proposed for at least twelve (12) months after his rejection.