Far Med had all good intention to finally crack the Kraken spell and record a winning time from Barker to Roman Rock.
With a 15 knot westerly forecast this was gonna be easy.
Instead we had 20 to 30 knots on the nose with a 5 m swell and rain. Motors ailing into these giant kraken swells was the only option.
The Kraken monster also demanded a sacrifice offering, which I as skipper duly obliged by donating my dinner and breakfast to the eagerly awaiting tentacles.
If this wasn’t enough we were welcomed to Roman Rock with a violent shower of hail.
Kraken , you won this round but beware ,Far Med will be back for revenge next year.
11h30 Friday 20 September
Heading into a stiff breeze on the nose, and building swell, the kraken latched on to Scarlet Sun and thrashed her from Barkers to Vulcan Rock, where sadly the abort button was pushed to let off sick crew in Hout Bay.
Yachts A-L and Farmed braved the conditions on the day, despite some seasickness, and motored on to False Bay, to win their respective classes in Spring Regatta.
Vitor Medina of Farmed: “Conditions where horrendous”
Well done guys
The brave Scarlet Sun set sail at 09h20 for the Rock-to-Rock Challenge with Kraken Rum on Friday morning. Sleet and rain. Expect the unexpected…
Eye witness account: We had a nasty experience near Houtbay when something really big hit First Lady out of nowhere. A huge black shadow was spotted and we first thought that it was a whale. The crew was so traumatised
that we decided to drop 2 of them off in Houtbay. We know they saw something extraordinary, but are in a comatose state at this stage and we cannot get a word out of them.The doctor on duty at mediclinic wanted to know what the big black spots on their arms were.
I think we should keep all boats aware of that area and that they should keep a good lookout.
We therefore are not going to complete the course. There is something lurking out here and we are going straight to GBYC.
The first yacht to take up and complete the Rock-to-Rock Challenge with the Kraken has posted her time on Saturday evening, within 18 hours of the challenge window opening. Well done to the Kavanagh family and crew aboard their Beneteau First 44.7 “RAY OF LIGHT”, who completed the course in a declared elapsed time of 5:54:45, which translates to 6:58:36 on corrected time.
That is a respectable time, and the advantage that they will hold for the time being is that it has been banked.
We have no idea what the weather holds in store for us in the next 20 days that the challenge windows remains open, but remember, there is no restriction on the number of times you can take up the challenge in the challenge window.
The scratch time to beat has been set: it’s got to be a little under a sub seven hour race to win on corrected time. While that’s very do-able; you’ve got to get out there and do it…and mind the sea monsters!
While we are not yet sure whether the crew aboard RAY OF LIGHT chanced upon any sea monsters enroute, there have been vivid confirmations that some large tigers escaped from the yacht in the rough 30 knot WSW winds with southerly swell.